April 10, 2009

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly


Here we are, not even a full week into the season, and already I'm speculating in the back of my mind whether or not October baseball is in the cards. (No pun intended)

(The Bad)
After game one, I was certain that it would only be a matter of days before my anxiety would raise my blood pressure to a level that would literally cause my heart to explode inside my chest. A 4-2 lead with 2 outs in the ninth inning... and our new "closer", Jason Motte gives up 4 runs? To me... and maybe it's just me, but I don't think this is a very good sign of things to come. It's a good thing that I put wrist straps (thank you Wii, your concept has saved my television on more than one occasion!) on my TV remote, or it might have found its way thru the back of my 60" flat screen. I watched this 9th inning collapse happen with total amazement, and in that moment, I was convinced that this season was doomed.

(The Ugly)
Todd Wellemeyer didn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy coming off of his first start of the season either. Five runs on 12 hits in just 5 innings on the mound. That my friends, is the recipe that nightmares are made of. All of the ingredients needed for a sports induced, massive coronary were right there, and Wellemeyer was blending them together like Grandma in the kitchen on a Sunday afternoon. There was a moment when I felt a sharp pain shoot thru my chest and it became difficult to breathe... then I realized it was just the burrito I had eaten for dinner, not the game, that was causing this discomfort. I have to keep reminding myself... it's just the 1st week of the season.

(The Good)
The first bright spot of the season came yesterday. Chris Carpenter carried a no-hitter into the 7th inning in his first start of the season. Now, I realize that this is only his 1st start, but after multiple shoulder surgeries, and all of the questions that lingered around Carpenter going into this season, yesterday was the best news that anyone could ask for. The 2005 Cy Young award winner looked to be back in top form, picking up the win in his debut. Yesterday he was downright filthy, and his "stuff" was untouchable. Couple that with the fact that Albert has come out of the gate in his typical form, hitting .500 in the first 4 games, with a dinger and a handful of RBI's. Khalil Greene looks solid at shortstop so far, and Yadier Molina is looking stronger on offense, and is in pursuit of back-to-back Gold Gloves behind the plate.

Baseball is a lot like golf if you stop to think about it. You can play a horrible round of golf, but there is always that one hole where you hit the perfect shot. You know... that shot that makes you want to come back and play again the next day. Carpenter's performance yesterday was a lot like that shot.

Who am I kidding??? The season isn't even a week old, and to borrow an over used cliche', there is lot of baseball left to be played! To be honest... it doesn't matter what happens over the course of the season. I'll be there regardless. Checking the box scores of all the games each night before I go to bed. Setting my line-ups for my Fantasy League teams every morning. Standing around the coffee machine with my co-workers, debating who has the advantage in the pitching match ups for that day. I'm not going anywhere!

On a more serious note, I'd like to take this opportunity to send my condolences to the family, friends, and teammates of Nick Adenhart, the Angel's pitcher who was tragically killed in an apparent hit and run accident caused by a drunk driver on Wednesday night. We, as Cardinals fans, know all too well how hard it is to lose someone so unexpectedly. The loss of Daryl Kile and Josh Hancock still hangs over St. Louis fans like a dark cloud. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.




No comments: