April 6, 2009

I Can't Fight This Feeling Any Longer...

I have to admit...I haven't been all that excited about baseball starting. I don't know if it's because I'm back on the road again, (been in Dallas pretty solid since July), get tired of reading the gloom and doom prediction of the Astros, (I believe the baseball prospectus predicted 92 losses), or tired of all the PED talk. However, here I was today, talking baseball, counting down the clock until first pitch, even telling my client I'll have to send some comments later as the game starts at 6:05. It really is an sociology question. Are we programmed from birth to love baseball or something we've learned over time. I know all of us have had much more heartbreaks than successes over the years. What keeps us coming back?

I will admit watching the Cubs-Astros (it's top of the 6th as I write), my enthusiasm is starting to wane seeing us not move runners and make bone headed mistakes, (Yes Miggy, you were out). However, I know that tomorrow I'll be pouring over box scores and knowing the pitching match ups for the next game. I think for me one of the things I like is seeing the writers proved wrong. The favorites seldom do as well as predicted and there's always a surprise (TB last year, Colorado in 2007).

I think my biggest wishes for the start of this season, (wait a second...what a crappy call on Mr. Anal Fissures. That was not a strike). Astros play .500 ball. Yankees don't win anything. Neither do the Red Sox. Braves win the East, (just to piss off the East Coast media predicting the Phillies and Mets) and Head in the Ivy is not shown on TV with his shirt off and the Cubs logo painted on his chest.

Now one more college basketball game to go. Thank goodness for the hotel bar with multiple TV's.

No comments: